Hit Counter

Saturday, December 10, 2022

the hood

                              

 

the hood

    for me

    is what franciscans wear

    what drew me to them.

 

think of it.

 sixth grade

christmas midnight mass

first year serving mass

              st. mary’s hospital

two franciscans appear

              deacon and subdeacon

              (sisters wanted solemn high mass)

              never saw one before

                     I liked the hood

                     neat!

 

three years later

            high school seminary

            lots of hoods

            I reflect

                you know,

            hoods invite

                 could grab them

                        from behind

                 these are guys you could

                        grab from behind

                        stop in their tracks

            I like that

            I want to be like that.

 

why?

who knows?

            something in me?

a leper stopped francis in his tracks

            changed his life

            go to the bottom

                        be like the carp      

                        feed on the bottom

            who cares what the neighbors think

                        where you find Jesus

                        where Jesus finds you.

 

francis in a broken down church

            crucifix in a broken down church

                 a leper church

            but this time a message:

                 Build!

            OK

                  said francis

            I will build

            I need stones

                  Give me stones

                  and off he went.

           

            false start

                  nobody hurt

                  some buildings fixed

                  but new direction

            build people

            build up souls

                  broken down souls

                  bottom again

no wonder anyone can stop these guys

                  in their tracks

 

 why me?

            background?

            questionable grandfathers

                  one suicide, other probably alcoholic

            yet loving parents

                  parents without pedigree

                        alcohol and suicide ruin pedigrees

                   did they find Jesus on the bottom?

                        did Jesus find them on the bottom?

            maybe they taught me

                        go to the bottom

                        Jesus will find you

 

so I like the hood

            foolish motive for seventy years of living

                  but it held up

            don’t even wear the hood that much now

                  but it’s there

                   someone could stop me in my tracks

             good way to live

 

actually,

            not a half bad way to accept death

                  pulled from behind

            get stopped in my tracks

                  hope by Jesus this time   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment